Wednesday, January 4, 2012

HUNTINGTON LIBRARY FALL PLANT SALE

Jeez, where'd the days go?! I somehow managed to go more than 2 months without doing a blog entry. In my defense, I did get laid off from my corporate hell job (not really a bad thing) and had a long vacation in France (also not really a bad thing). Although I haven't had time to do entries, I have been taking gardening photos in preparation for when ever I'd have a spare moment to blog. That moment has finally come now at the beginning of 2012. My resolution will of course be to not go 2 months without a blog entry ever again.

Let me rewind the clock back to late October, when I attended the Huntington Library fall plant sale in San Marino. In case you're not familiar with Huntington Library, it is a huge 80+ year old educational and research library steeped in local Southern California history. It consists of several beautiful buildings filled with masses of art and historical publications as well as one of North America's premiere botanical gardens. They hold bi-annual plant sales in May and October. I live just a mile away so I always try to attend the sales and pick up a few nice plants. Here are some photos from the sale.










The tall plants in the photo below are called Amorphophallus. These dubious named
plants are relatives of the infamous stinky Corpse Flower, in fact these two might
actually be corpse flowers. I forgot to note which variety they are. 


The photo below shows my one purchase at this season's sale, a large, and allegedly
rare, Anthurium from Ecuador. The leaves on this gorgeous plant are huge.


HUNTINGTON LIBRARY, ART COLLECTIONS AND BOTANICAL GARDENS
1151 Oxford Road, San Marino, CA  91108



0 comments:

Post a Comment